D7 EE Post Performance Pity Party Playing Pangs

D7 EE Post Performance Pity Party Playing Pangs

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm

OOC- waiting for someone, but this is in public
----------------------------------------

Well he had embarrassed himself and Otaku Imane in the process. Neither of which were intended, especially for his host. Though not a scandal like many of the rumors floating about, if they were true. Considering rumors it appeared a certain Kakita had decided to grace the village with his presence. Would he be here for the miai or something else? It was these dark thoughts that clouded Kaizen's playing this evening.

-------------------------------------
Perform Samisen 20
Phoenix Clan * Yojimbo * Previous Year Topaz Competitor of Renown * Crane are not Fans of.. * Short
Glory: 2.0 * Status: 1.0 * Honor: What is Expected * Courtship Points: 5
Carries: daisho, fan, samisen, and wears decent quality clothing with a haori and hakama
Shiba Kaizen

Re: D7 EE Post Performance Pity Party Playing Pangs

Postby Otaku Imane on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:35 pm

The sound of the samaisen drew Otaku Imane's attention as she walked around the yurt city. Her thoughts were elsewhere and so it was a bit of a surprise when she saw who was playing, and now it would be too awkward to just back slowly away. Turning and running was not an option for an Otaku so she decided to get it over with. Gritting her teeth she walked right up to him.

"Shiba-san. What have I done to... That is to say, why would you... I mean, did you really believe that it was appropriate to... Gah! Men!"

She folded her arms across her chest and stared at him as if daring a response. After a few moments she relented a little. "I suppose I should be flattered."
Unicorn • Shiotome • Prodigy • Musical • Honest • Gaijin Name • Archer • Lancer • Singer
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question | Courtship Points: 9
Languages: Mekhem
Carries: Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Flute, Light armour (where appropriate)
Carried by: Almatar (Otaku warhorse, where appropriate)
Otaku Imane

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 pm

It was obvious Kaizen face took a slightly red hue, he bowed apologetically. "Otaku-sama, it was not my intention to cause you any discomfort. The event encouraged the attempt and the Moto said to choose a lady in attendance. Of all those I have met I considered Otaku-sama most inspiring. Our conversation was brief, but you were most earnest and direct. Your hopes for the future of your Clan in the Empire... I meant to convey those in words. I sang of Virtue not desire open or veiled. I would hope it flattered, I believed the Moto wanted a different sort of flattery."

The wall of words came quickly and nervously. He added, "You would be worthy of such flattery too, but it is not my place to say so in such a setting." He was new to miais and talking to potential brides or even romance in general.
Phoenix Clan * Yojimbo * Previous Year Topaz Competitor of Renown * Crane are not Fans of.. * Short
Carries: daisho, fan, samisen, and wears decent quality clothing with a haori and hakama
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Otaku Imane on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Seeing him blush and the flurry of polite compliments brought some colour to her own cheeks. "Oh. But we only met the once." He seemed sincere, and it surprised her. "I...I did not expect to leave such an impression." She looked at her feet for a moment, not sure where else to look. "The Moto do like their songs about love. My father was one you see, I know a lot about them. It is a pity they didn't allow musical compositions. I mean, your samisen piece was very nice."
Unicorn • Shiotome • Prodigy • Musical • Honest • Gaijin Name • Archer • Lancer • Singer
Status: 2.0 | Glory: 0.0 | Infamy: 0.1 | Honor: A Soul Above Question | Courtship Points: 9
Otaku Imane

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:48 pm

"It was not the number or length of conversations, but what it was about and your company. Music is a big part of all the Clans' culture the Unicorn are obviously no exception. Your words about wanting to help the Unicorn music find its place in the Empire... Not many would see that as important. Though it is sometimes music, art, stories can bend hearts to peace when words fail." Kaizen said.

"Though the Crane usually do not have any use for me even I know it would be wise for the Unicorn to seek their guidance on art and culture." Kaizen wondered to himself, The rumor... is it him...
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Otaku Imane on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:03 pm

"I...I see. Yes, music is dear to me and I really do wish for my people's culture to find its place here in the Empire. I suppose I had not thought of it in terms of bending hearts to peace but that is an eloquent way of putting it Shiba-san."

She smiled. "You and the Crane do not seem on the best of terms yet you continue to speak highly of them. This says much about your character, but still I do not know much about you. Will you tell me more about Shiba Kaizen?"
Otaku Imane

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 pm

"The Crane fulfill their place in the Empire with great diligence and that they have not been overrun by the Lion or Crab speaks to their tenacity. As to why the Crane harbor ill will towards me?"

"If you want to know my story you will learn this as well. What do you know of The Topaz Championship?" Kaizen asked unsure of how long Imane herself had been in the Empire and how many Unicorn knew of the Championship at all.
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Otaku Imane on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:26 pm

"I enjoy your sincerity you know. This Championship sounds like a most interesting event...about which I know absolutely nothing." Another smile. "Please enlighten me Shiba-san."
Otaku Imane

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:52 pm

"In the month of the Serpent every in the Kakita provinces there is a village called Tsume. There the greatest youths in the Empire gather for the most prestigious gempukku ceremony. It consists of varying contests of skill all of which lead to an iaijutsu tournament. The winner of this final event is heralded as The Topaz Champion till the next Championship." It was not that detailed an explanation, but it got the point across.

Kaizen continued, "I am not so old, but this story is somewhat... involved. My elder brother Kenshiro who was considered by many the finest student of The Twin Soul Temple dojo in generations. Kenshiro was an obvious choice to attend and he did not disappoint. Prior to the iaijutsu matches he was the top competitor by a significant margin. His nearest rival was Kakita Jinsoku who prior to the tournament was favored to win." Kaizen's eyes narrowed when speaking the Crane's name.

"My brother was respected by his opponents and he impressed the judges gaining much glory. Glory Jinsoku considered his due. Some say it was fate and who am I to disagree, regardless they would face one another in the final iaijutsu match. The winner would be Champion." A saddnes entered the Shiba's voice like he was hollowed out, his soul wishing to escape the tale.

He continued, "The duels are to the first blood and Jinsoku with the Kakita technique and his mastery of control he should have had no problem. When they faced each other Kenshiro was barely slower as he would only cut the Kakita, Jinsoku's strike bore the speed and power of death." Motioning from collar bone to heart he went on, "The cut severed bone striking my brother's heart. I was not there, but they say the silence went on for an eternity. It would not be proven a murder, but Jinsoku would not be Champion as he did not have the honor and control one would expect of the Topaz Champion. He was not cast out of his Family and Clan, but his future was no longer as bright."

Kaizen paused to drink from his water bottle and see if Imane had any questions.
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Otaku Imane on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:01 pm

She listened to his story, expression sharpening when the Kakita was revealed to be a villain. It was a few moments before she spoke.

"Tsume? The Topaz Championship? I suppose this is something we Unicorn should start attending." Perhaps not the Moto, just yet... "This signs like it is set up for the Crane to win. Do other clans win very often?"

As for his personal story.

"And I think I understand you better now Shiba-san. Thank you for telling me about your brother and your own story. I sense this Jinsoku person will feature in your life again, no? It seems like there is karma here to be attended to."
Otaku Imane

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 pm

To Imane's question about the Topaz Championship he said, "Certainly the Unicorn should attend once your Clan is settled sufficiently. Perhaps this would be a question for Doji-san when next you speak. While the Crane tend to train in courtly matters and iaijutsu the competitors must still finish the first two days with no less than five points to move onto the iaijutsu tournament. Should a Kakita trained duelist fail to do so it is unlikely the Crane will win. In fact shugenja have won from time to time. While I do not know the history of the Championship till now it has been said the Crane win between one in three to one in two."

Kaizen continued the story, "Karma does play a role it seems. Last year I attended the Topaz Championship and like my brother I made my way to the iaijutsu rounds. I defeated my first opponent, but the second was the one that continues to haunt me. I watched my future opponent's first round match and Kakita Mariko-san proved an accomplished duelist easily defeating Matsu Kenpachi. Before our match I sought time to meditate and I did not learn till after our duel that she was in fact the cousin of Kakita Jinosoku. We faced one another, but when we struck she hesitated for some reason. I cut deep into the right side of her face. While the wound was not life threatening it would leave a scar, had she moved as I had expected not only would I have not cut deep it was likely she would have struck me first."

"In the following round I was defeated by Mirumoto Gyouza. I would not be Champion, but I had done better than nearly all my peers. Still I had a need to make amends especially once I found out that Kakita Mariko-san is the cousin of my brother's murderer. I sent her a letter and a single purple Hiyashinsu blossom apologizing for the unintended wound. It is said she has been a guest at the Temple of Benten and has not spoken since I struck her." The Shiba shook his head, "I do not know what that means, only that Kakita Jinosoku is rumored to be here. It seems karma has come to this village for me as much as it has for this miai as a whole."

Shiba Kaizen looks to Otaku Imane for any insight she may have. While Kaizen may be a little older, they were of an age. Come the morning Kaizen planned to ensure his affairs were in order.
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Otaku Imane on Mon May 01, 2017 11:14 pm

Imane was entranced by the story. It had all the key points of a good samurai drama and she had to stop her jaw from dropping open when it turned out that this Jinsoku character was here at the miai!

"So you defeated this Crane's cousin and accidentally wounded her, and now he is here? At this miai?"

She pondered what that meant.

"Why would he come? Will you have to face him in one of these iaijutsu duels? Or is this some other matter and just a coincidence? In any case, you should make sure that if you meet this man it is with witnesses who can attest to what went on."
Otaku Imane

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Tue May 02, 2017 6:17 am

"If the rumor is true Kakita Jinosoku is in the village, but to my knowledge he has not been invited to the miai. I do not know what his intentions are nor can I control how any confrontation may occur. I will try to be in the company of others as much as possible as that is a wise suggestion." Kaizen nodded having not considered that himself.

"I will wait and see if he declares his intentions then speak to Ide Dabo-sama. I hope it is something else, but if Kakita-san wishes conflict I will not have it mar this miai, Ide-sama, or the Unicorn in some way." Kaizen shook his head to clear his thoughts.

"Oh I am wondering do you know why it was a purple Hiyashinsu blossom given? I am no ikebana expert, but a few flowers I know. I imagine the Unicorn have seen many interesting flowers in their travels, but the Crane over centuries have developed an art and almost a language of plants. These are the things the Doji can teach the Unicorn better than most, though there are some among the Asako who take the art of ikebana very seriously." he shifted his samisen in his hands wondering to what end Jinosoku has in mind.
Shiba Kaizen

Postby Otaku Imane on Wed May 03, 2017 12:47 pm

"This would be a wise and thoughtful action Shiba-san, thank you for thinking of the serenity of this event.". Heavens knew he might be the first to do so.

"I am sorry. Iee-kay-ban-ah is not an art I am familiar with. My knowledge does not extend to flowers, and even if it did I suspect that we might have a different name for it. You should ask the Iuchi. There are several here who I am sure would be pleased to assist you."

She smiled at him. "You are an interesting man Shiba-san. I am flattered that you chose to sing for me, and regardless of who we are partnered with I do hope that we will stay in touch. We can share the music of our people to promote understanding.". The idea seemed to please her.
Otaku Imane

Postby Shiba Kaizen on Wed May 03, 2017 2:06 pm

"My thanks it is actually my Father who practices Ikebana in the family, what little I know is from him. I will be sure to let him know that the Iuchi Family may be of help in his hobby. The reason that particular flower was chosen in that color was like the letter it symbolizes an apology. The wound was more than I intended it to be, I wanted Kakita Mariko-san to understand that."

"If it would not be too much trouble Otaku-sama, could you tell me something not just of your past, but what you hope for the future?" Kaizen was genuinely curious, "Since as you say we do not know who we will be engaged to, but at the least we can stay in touch. I would like to know more about my friend Imane-sama." That name came hesitantly, but the Unicorn had suggest they be friends so he took the gamble and his cheeks reddened slightly in the fading light.
Shiba Kaizen

Next

Return to Western Yurts