Day 5 [LM] Pincers and Tails

Re: Day 5 [LM] Pincers and Tails

Postby Matsu Kogo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:14 am

She smiles at him and continues on to slightly accelerate. "It is not so easy as a word Suteichi-san. There are flaws inside of me that need expunging, cracking, to be ferreted out and destroyed. There are many ways in which I am insufficient as a samurai, some of which you have pointed out to me." She thinks for a moment, continuing the sequence by rote. "It is like and not like what we are doing here. There must be sufficient tightness and looseness. Too much tightness and you risk being overpowered easily, having only a brittle strength. Too much looseness and you risk being overpowered by the smallest thing. Balance is key, but this miai seems to be excellent at rocking balance."
Lion Clan • Beastmaster • Gullible • Idealistic • Paragon: Courtesy
Honor: What is expected l Status: 1 l Glory: 1 l Courtship : 1

Carries: Wakizashi, sweets, traveling game of Go, jade

internal thoughts
Accompanied by Warcat Noburu at most times.
Matsu Kogo

Postby Bayushi Suteichi on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Suteichi stopped and corrected her quietly.

"Before I continue, you just made a very huge mistake. Never, NEVER admit to anyone that you are insufficient as a samurai. Mind you, you said that to me. If you said that to one of my other clansmen, you would be quite the sensation not just here but pretty much any court you ever decide to enter in. Any battle, skirmish, or duel you may encounter, you will be made a total fool of. A Crane would certainly waste no time in exploiting that. The Crab will not respect you as a warrior and neither will the Unicorn. The Dragon would turn that into a riddle which will make you doubt yourself. Phoenix will think you to be humble and question you. Saying what you said could be argued as you saying sensei taught poorly."

He looked her over, there was a hint of compassion in eyes, not as a lover but as an elder sibling.

"Words can cut sharper and deeper that a katana. Katana cuts a person one at a time. Words can cause armies to rise up and nations to be destroyed. Be careful of your words, they end you faster that duel." He resumed his training.
Bayushi Suteichi
Scorpion Clan*Courtier*Poet*Musician*Dangerously Handsome*Heartless*Blessed By Benten

Status 1.0|Honor: Untrustworthy|Courtshp Points: 3

Carries: Fan, Sweets, Wakizashi, Aiguchi (when applicable), Samisen

Image Suteichi's Mask

Theme| Profile
Bayushi Suteichi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:15 pm

She listens intently to his words, taking them to heart as she usually does, even if they rock her on her feet. "But is it not humility and honesty, to state that one is not like the great samurai? I mean in comparison to my ancestress or to those I admire. As a samurai, I do not see myself as insufficient, but as one who has much room to grow. I am only out of my gempukku. It would be the height of folly to say I am finished with my learning." She thinks the comments over. "Nonetheless, I am thankful for your help, as always. My words fly ahead of me too often and I am more cautious with my sword by far. It is a lack of balance in myself."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Bayushi Suteichi on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Oh for the love of...!

Suteichi held up his hand.

"Kogo-san. You are a Lion. You walk with a Lion. You know how long the Lion have prided themselves on being The Right Hand of The Emperor, they did not get that way by being humble and docilie about it. As you have corrected me about the sword so should I correct you about your choice of words and thoughts. I do this as a courtesy and extending compassion to you. My duty would be to exploit you at every wake and turn but I choose to be compassionate to one whom I have become a confidant to. What I tell you is sincere and honest, despite your martial skill and the ferocious Lion you walk with, I have the courage to stand before you to say these words because you need to hear them to be better. In all this, have I not demonstrated a level of humility by not utilizing my skills to my full advantage taking advantage of you?! Most are not so compassionate or humble. This is just like court, you act like a child you get treated like one. You show yourself strong and those who don't like you will eve respect you. I don't care if people see my mon and mask and wonder about me, they damn well will respect me because I do. Have some pride about you Kogo-san. A lioness demands. A lioness roars. A lioness hunts. If you're sitting at the table feasting, you are on the table at the feast, and let me tell you; there's a lot of hungry people."
Bayushi Suteichi
Scorpion Clan*Courtier*Poet*Musician*Dangerously Handsome*Heartless*Blessed By Benten

Image Suteichi's Mask

Theme| Profile
Bayushi Suteichi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:54 pm

She stops the practice at his raised hand. "You touch my pride Suteichi-san. But I have seen what happens when a lioness demands, when a lioness roars. When a lioness cares more for her pride than for her family. There is carnage in her wake. "

She pauses. "I am grateful for your humility and your tutelage. You do me a service very few others could do and I honor you for it, especially knowing what your duty is. To know and trust a Scorpion is a rare gift and I acknowledge it. " She looks him in the eye. "But if I were such a Lion as you would push me to be, would I enjoy your friendship now? Is it not some of what is inside of me that you both scorn and appreciate? There were many Lions at the Akodo court, but you and I became friends, though our mothers planned differently. "

She chooses her words carefully. "I have seen fear too often take the place of respect or treated as its equal. I will not be a bully, who uses her skill at arms to 'teach another respect'. For does not Akodo say, 'Samurai have no reason to be cruel. They do not need to prove their strength. A samurai is courteous even to his enemies. Without this outward show of respect, we are nothing more than animals. A samurai is not only respected for his strength in battle, but also by his dealings with other men. The true inner strength of a samurai becomes apparent during difficult times.' "

"You tell me I must prove myself to others. I must be strong, I must show no weakness. That I must hide myself from them, so they do not exploit me. But to me, that is another way of letting fear rule my life. " She draws a breath. "There is much to what you say, I will admit. I show too much, and there is much I have to learn about refusing to give my enemies weapons to harm me. Today and yesterday I have learned that a plenty and I will take your words to heart. But take some of mine as well. Do not confuse my humility for docility or my desire to be courteous for weakness. You make the mistake too many of my kin did in doing so. Strength is not only in arms or in fear. Strength is internal as well. The Scorpion of all Clans should know that."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Bayushi Suteichi on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Suteichi looked at her as she spoke. He listened closely then retorted when she finished.

"Very well then... If we all agreed the world would be most boring."

He retuned to his workout.
Bayushi Suteichi

Image Suteichi's Mask

Theme| Profile
Bayushi Suteichi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Kogo stops for a moment, baffled at the lack of response. She had fully expected to be struck down or berated for her thoughts. Instead she finds....something like acceptance. "Is...is that all Suteichi-san?" She watches his movements, noting their increased fluidity.

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Bayushi Suteichi on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:40 pm

"Is what it?... Oh! You thought there was more. You made your point and are standing on that. Who am I to change your mind and see things differently? Life will teach you."
Bayushi Suteichi

Image Suteichi's Mask

Theme| Profile
Bayushi Suteichi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:04 am

Kogo feels as if the world has been cut from under her feet. She knows Suteichi does not agree with her, but it is not how she is used to things being handled. She was expecting a full on verbal match. Instead, he has moved away like water, slipping under her feet. "It does not mean I do not wish to hear your words. I just...wished you to hear mine as well."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Bayushi Suteichi on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:08 am

"Oh I hear them, Kogo-san. What more did you want me to say?"
Bayushi Suteichi

Image Suteichi's Mask

Theme| Profile
Bayushi Suteichi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:12 am

She shakes her head. "I do not know. " She begins the pattern again. "But I value your friendship and I am concerned I have injured it in my fiery words. It is like feeling the mask has come over you all over again, and your self is hidden from me."

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Bayushi Suteichi on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:35 am

"And you wish to see me.... I have always been in plain sight." Suteichi continued the basic forms he was taught.
Bayushi Suteichi

Image Suteichi's Mask

Theme| Profile
Bayushi Suteichi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:37 am

Kogo shakes her head in frustration and returns to the forms. She increases the speed slightly, returning to the speed they had previously been at during her distraction. "Perhaps one day you will tell me what you are thinking. But for now, this is what I can offer. I will soon start to change the exercise. Do your best to react to the change I make in a defensive matter. I will not move at speed." She continues the exercise until she hears his affirmation.

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

Postby Bayushi Suteichi on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:47 am

Is she lecturing me on adaptability?!... what a most strange Matsu....

Suteichi affirmed with a nod and awaited for what came next.
Bayushi Suteichi

Image Suteichi's Mask

Theme| Profile
Bayushi Suteichi

Postby Matsu Kogo on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:22 am

She continued the moves, focusing solely on the technique she could teach Suteichi. Being in debt was an uncomfortable feeling and having the sensation that your friend though you a fool, even more so. She begins to slowly move her feet again, but also changing the rhythm. Instead of giving him a set pattern to follow, she varies it extensively, not repeating the move sequences.

internal thoughts
Matsu Kogo

PreviousNext

Return to Calm Heart Dojo